Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Nativity Question

My mom collects nativity scenes, so we have always had them at my house and they stay out all year long. I grew up in church, so I've always known the story behind them. I never thought much about them until I had to dust and pick up each individual piece. (I know, not a very religious thought, but an honest one!) Anyway, when I started working at a Christian organization, I found out that there were some issues with displaying your nativity scene. Several people I work with don't display the wise men in their nativity because they weren't present at the time of Jesus' birth. They came probably two years later to a house, not the stable. Some do display the wise men, but they make sure they are coming from the east. Others, who only display them at Christmas, leave the baby Jesus figure out until Christmas and then add Him in. How do you display your nativity? As you can see, I have no idea which direction my wise men are headed and I display the whole set together.

2 comments:

Carol said...

It bums me that no one has weighed in on your Nativity Question. I think God would be honored no matter when or where you display your Nativity.

JEff said...

I never knew that we worked with such quirky people. Wait ... yes, I did!

We put it all out at one time. Don't really know which way is east, so we wouldn't be able to tell you how the wise men are positioned!