I love the book, The Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman. I read it several years ago and thought it was the best. Chapman says that there are 5 love languages, which is the language people use to give and receive love. The 5 love languages are gifts, words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, and physical touch. He says that most of us prefer one of the languages over another. My love language is gifts. I use to hate that because I felt like it made me materialistic, but I realized it really doesn't. I don't need huge gifts from anyone, something as simple as a candy bar or a card is fine. It's not always the gift, but the thought that counts. The point that Chapman makes in his book is that we most often show our love in the same language we prefer. I have found this to be so true. When I see something that reminds me of someone, I enjoy buying it and giving it to them. The problem is that although that's the easiest language for us to use, it might not be the love language that the other person prefers. This means that in relationships or friendships it is important to learn others' love languages so that you can speak to them in a way that they understand, not necessarily the way that is easiest for you. So, what's your love language?
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
The 5 Love Languages
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Candace...I think I'm an acts of service girl. I am so happy when Shane cleans up or sweeps the floor..THese days I am thrilled when he lets me get some extra sleep. So sad-I know!!! Hope you are going well. Lots of love...Mar
Post a Comment