Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Baptism

Today at church, my friend Jeff baptized two sisters. The oldest sister is in our Sunday School class and I was so excited for both of these girls. Jeff also did a great job! On the way home from church, I began to think about my own baptism. I got baptized on May 8, 1988. No, I did not remember this, but I found it on my certificate of baptism! I remember that it was on Mother's Day and my Grandmother and Papa Smith came from Alabama. I also remembered that I almost missed my own baptism! Our pastor had broken his arm a few weeks before I was baptized so he was unable to get his cast wet. This meant that the minister of education was going to baptize me because I didn't want to wait! Well, I was waiting to the side of the baptistry with whoever was back there with me so my parents could be out front. We kept waiting for the minister of education to start talking and then I was suppose to get in the baptistry. Well, the preacher was talking but I wasn't paying attention to what he was saying. We didn't realize that he was still going to do lot of the talking even though he couldn't actually do the baptizing. Anyway, I finally got in the water. My biggest fear was that the minister of education wouldn't hold my nose and I would come up coughing! Thankfully, everything went fine. It was a special day and I am so glad I got to share it with all my friends and family.

No comments: